Thursday, September 7, 2017

Lifelong Coordinator


Mark Nabholz, Lifelong Coordinator

I've chosen to highlight three superlative settings by Eric Nelson, Director of Choral Activities at Emory University and conductor of the Atlanta Master Chorale, one of the premiere adult community choral organizations in the country.

When Memory Fades
SATB/piano
Arranger: Eric Nelson
Morningstar Music Publishers, MSM-50-8914
Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/V_djkVTjdX8

Nelson's treatment of this graceful tune by Jayne Southwick Cool illuminates the meaning and emotional content of Mary Louise Bringle's rich text. Dealing with one of society's most prevalent end-of-life issues, dementia, this 5-minute work is suitable for either church or concert settings.

When memory fades and recognition falters,
when eyes we love grow dim, and minds, confused,
speak to our souls of love that never alters;
speak to our hearts by pain and fear abused.
O God of life and healing peace, empower us
with patient courage, by your grace infused.



Leaning on the Everlasting Arms
SATB/flute/cello/piano
Arranger: Eric Nelson
Morningstar Music Publishers, MSM-50-8970
Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/TuV8RUH79tM

Yes, this is the gospel hymn tune with which you're familiar (SHOWALTER), but Nelson's skillful instrumental writing casts it in an entirely new and refreshing light. His fragmentary inclusion "Amazing Grace" (NEW BRITAIN) adds to the tranquil charm. Suitable for church or concert, approximately 6 minutes.

How Do I Love Thee?
SSAATTBB/piano
Composer: Eric Nelson
E.C. Schirmer, E.C.1.3375
Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/iy32wqJZH3M

Published in 2014, Nelson's setting features an accompaniment that is supportive of the voices and is at the same time eminently expressive and pianistic. Divisi is limited, and this piece is appropriate for a wide range of ensembles: advanced high school, community, and collegiate choirs will find themselves challenged and gratified by this well-crafted +-7 minute setting of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's famous Sonnet 43.
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day’s
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

No comments:

Post a Comment