Saturday, September 10, 2016

Junior High

Tammy Maxie, Junior High R&R

Come to the Music
SSA/2-part 35030121 (also available SATB and SAB)
Joseph M. Martin
Shawnee Press
Years ago I had the opportunity to meet Joseph M. Martin.  He visited our church to work with our choir and he was one of the most engaging musicians I have ever met!  Since then I have always looked to his music because his accompaniments are always beautiful and his arrangements exciting.  Come to the Music is alive and electric with driving rhythm, memorable melodies, mixed meter, and joyful text. Optional percussion and piccolo accompaniment (parts included) enhance the medieval dance quality of this exciting piece.

Banks of Doon
SSA (also available SATB)
Donna Gartman Schultz
Boosey and Hawkes 48004736
Beautiful arrangement of a famous Robert Burns poem, The Banks o’ Doon.  The melody is new but it still has a flair of a Scottish air.  An instrumental obligato is also added to the choral score.

Stand by Me
TB
Roger Emerson
Hal Leonard 00155636
This 1961 hit has been recorded by over 400 artists and my boys love singing it!  The bass line is perfect for my changing baritone/bass and my unchanged boy soars on the melody line!  Written specifically for the boys in middle school!  Add a bass guitar and drums and the girls will swoon! 

Set Me As A Seal Upon Your Heart
TB
Laura Farnell
Hal Leonard 08551864
Perfect beginning piece for my boys!  Not demanding, very singable and easy to teach!  

Simplifying our Sight Reading- SOS for beginning Choirs
Laura Farnell and Mary Jane Phillips

This resource is new to me this year!  Over the past few weeks I have enjoyed using it with my beginners.  I have always started with rhythm first and this series separates rhythm and pitch without notation giving my students confidence here at the start of school.   It is well sequenced and starts truly from the beginning but gives my high achievers an engaging experience due to the  design of the exercises.  Highly recommend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment