Saturday, February 11, 2017

Collegiate Coordinator


Phillip Stockton, Collegiate Coordinator

Mass in Blue
Will Todd
Soprano solo, SATB choir, piano, bass, drum set, optional alto saxophone
Oxford University Press 9780193400504
This would be a great way to engage the jazz band at your institution to perform a piece with the choir. Have a listen and see if it fits what you want to do.

Music of Will Todd
I cannot limit my recommendations to just one piece. What intrigues me about his music is that he has a style, but his pieces do not all sound the same. Each piece is thoughtfully composed/arranged to fit the intention of the text. Go to his website for more information and recordings of his music.

Die Forelle
Arranged by D. Jason Bishop
SSA
Hal Leonard Publishing 00140684
There has been a recent trend to take art songs and set them for choral ensembles. I have suggested these before in previous blog posts, and will continue the trend with one of the most loved art songs by Franz Schubert. Your treble groups will enjoy singing this lively arrangement that is true to the original. The piano accompaniment is very similar to the original, but made more accessible by the arranger.

Chorus Confidential
William Dehning
I am always looking for a way to integrate leadership into my choral conducting courses. This year I have chosen Chorus Confidential as a companion to our conducting work. The writing is relaxed, sometimes sarcastic, anecdotal, but full of depth and knowledge from a respected choral conductor. I am enjoying reading it and feel that my students will as well as your students.

No comments:

Post a Comment