Saturday, February 11, 2017

Repertoire Specific Coordinator


Angie Rawls, Repertoire Specific Coordinator

The Awakening
Joseph M. Martin
TTBB
Hal Leonard Corporation CO286   35001492
This piece was published in 1995, so it has been around for a few years.  The first time my choirs performed it, we sang the SATB version which I also recommend.  It is not very difficult, but it sounds impressive.  (You need a skilled accompanist and at least one bass with a low Db).  J  There is a lot of opportunity for expressiveness.  The pieces starts very soft and somber, then builds to a glorious triumphant ending – “let music live!”  The text speaks of the power of music to change the world. 

“IPA Made Easy; A Guidebook for the International Phonetic Alphabet” by Anna Wentlent
I did not study IPA in college, but I’ve come to recognize and appreciate the benefits the knowledge of IPA can have in a choral rehearsal.  I’ve basically learned IPA alongside my students. This book serves as a quick, easy reference guide whenever I have questions or doubt myself.  J

“Quick Fixes; Prescriptions for Every Choral Challenge” by Tim Seelig
This book provides very practical solutions for very real issues in choral rehearsals.  There are prescriptions for everything from breathing to syllabic stress to musical expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment